India is a democratic nation. The democratic success entirely depends on the education of its citizens. The basic education aims at the total development of an individuals’ personality. Modern education is considered as the learning process from real life and expands dynamic society around us, so it should completely depend on the pace and choice of the learner.
In this way only, education has become relevant to real life. With this, educational opportunities are given to the individuals so that they can develop their personalities to the fullest extent.
The Constitution of India also writes for the provision of educational opportunities to all peoples of the country. Since education is one of the most important means for development, it is through education that one can aspire to achieve higher status, position, and emolument.
So every individual should have similar opportunities for getting an education. Ordinarily, equality of opportunity means to give equal chance to every individual for the development of his capacity.
There is a great need for emphasizing the equality of opportunity in education due to the following reasons:
- The establishment of an equal society is needed for this.
- It is needed because it is through the education of all people in a democracy that the success of the democratic institution is assured.
- The equality of educational opportunities will ensure a rapid advancement of a nation. When the people have opportunities to get an education, they will have a chance to develop their natural talent and thus enrich the society.
- The equality of educational opportunity will extend the search for talent among all the people of a nation.
- It will help to develop a close link between the manpower needs of a society and the availability of skilled personnel.
Some of the measures have been taken for Equalization of Educational Opportunity:
- Constitutional Provisions: On the basis of the constitutional provisions, we must provide compulsory elementary education to all children of the country. Democracy, socialism, secularism, justice, and equality are to be cultivated through the provision of equalizing educational opportunity for establishing an equal society.
- Removing restriction on admission in Institutions: Admission to educational institutions has been made available to all irrespective of caste and religion.
- Wide distribution of Institutions: Educational institutions have been opened in large numbers in order to provide an opportunity to all for getting an education.
- Provision of Pre-school education: In order to overcome wastage and stagnation in primary education, Pre-school education is to be given priority. Pre-school education centers like Balwadi, Anganwadi etc. have been opened and are to be set up in large scale.
- Provision of scholarship and other facilities: Provision of free ship and scholarships are being made for the backward and disadvantaged groups.
- Residential School: In tribal areas, residential schools or Ashram schools have been set up. Kanyashram schools have been commissioned in the tribal areas to facilitate the education of girls.